Ibn Abee Haatim(.328H) Rahimahullaah said:
”I entered Damascus and came upon the students of hadeeth, and I passed by the circle of Qaasim al Joo’ee(d.248 AH). I found a group sitting around him and he was speaking. Their appearance amazed me; and I heard him saying:
”Seize The Benefit Of Five Things From The People Of Your Time:
- When you are present, you are not known;
- When you are absent you are not missed;
- When you are seen, your advice is not sought;
- When you say something, your saying is not accepted;
- And when you have some knowledge, you are not given anything for it.
I Also Advise You With Five Matters:
- When you are treated unjustly, do not behave unjustly;
- When you are praised, do not become happy;
- When you are criticised, do not become upset;
- When you are not believed, do not become angry;
- And if people act deceitfully towards you, do not act deceitfully towards them.”
Ibn Abee Haatim said: ”So I took that as my benefit from Damascus.”
Related by Ibn al Jawzee in Sifatus-safwah(2/200).