AsSalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,
I hope (and make dua) for your success and steadfastness in this life and after death- success and steadfastness in knowledge and action. This advice is for myself and for you.
- That you are from the ghurabaa (strangers) – those who rectify when the people are corrupted. (1)
- That you patiently persevere upon the prayer, (specifically) the Friday prayer and (in general) the congregational prayer- giving this affair the upmost care and concern.
- That you leave your beard (2) (do not trim or shave) fulfilling the obligation (upon you), reviving the sunnah of the prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wa salam) and opposing the enemies of Islam, whilst recognising that we do not know if we will have a long or short life. That which is important is that we have a good end with righteous deeds.
- Being free of western clothing (3) …
- That you control your tongue and restrain it (4), except for the remembrance of Allah (5) and that which follows on from that, and that which is a must to be said (of good and sincere advice).(6)
- Pay attention to and observe some of the morning and evening supplications, for indeed it builds a fortress against calamities and destruction. A servant (of Allah) is weak, therefore it is imperative that he turns to his All-Mighty All-Powerful Lord, and seeks protection from His protection – The Glorified and Majestic.
- Always pay attention to time (7) (i.e. don’t waste it) and uphold good manners (8) (within the limits of the sharee’ah) with teachers and classmates (colleagues). You will attain the good of this life and the hereafter, because good manners brings about all good.
- Finally, take into account the recompense that is about to come in the presence of Allaah and put forth that which will bring you to His Pleasure. Allah is the Best of Protectors and Most Merciful of those who show mercy.
Was Salaamu ‘Alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh
Source: Wasiya Li-Ahadi Abnaa’ee 689-690
1. Basis of this is a Hadith which has been collected by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi, Ahmad, and other than them from the scholars of hadeeth, and it has been declared authentic by Al-Albani. In a narration, he (salallāhu ‘alaihi wasallam) said: “Those who rectify themselves [and others] when the people have become corrupt.” Reported by Ahmad and At-Tabarāni.
2. Bukhari 5892, Muslim 260 – both narrations have within it a command to grow the beard long and trim the moustache.
3. “Whoever resembles a people is from them.” Abu Dawood 431 Authenticated by Al-Albani
4. Hadith in Tirmidhi Authenticated by Al-Albaani, wherein the Prophet says to Mu’aadh (Allah be pleased with him), “Restrain this (i.e. the tongue)…”
5. There are many aayaat encouraging with the dhikr of Allah, from them:
[يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اذْكُرُوا اللَّهَ ذِكْرًا كَثِيرًا وَسَبِّحُوهُ بُكْرَةً وَأَصِيلًا [الأحزاب:41-
O you who have believed, remember Allah with much remembrance And glorify His Praises morning and afternoon. (Al-Ahzab:41)
6. The Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wa salam) said, “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day then let him speak good or remain silent.” Bukhari 6018
7. “There are two blessings that many people are deceived into losing: health and free time.” Sahih al-Bukhari 6412
8. “And behave with people with good manners.” at-Tirmidhi 1987